Robbie to light up Blackpool
Friday, 6th August 2010
Robbie Williams to Switch on Blackpool Illuminations
visitBlackpool, Real Radio and Smooth Radio, today unveiled superstar Robbie Williams as the celebrity who will turn on the 2010 Illuminations.
Robbie will drop into the resort on Friday 3 September to flick the switch as part of a star-studded celebrity weekend to launch this year’s world-famous Blackpool Illuminations.
Williams, who releases his new single “Shame” on October 4, is no stranger to the town, having filmed the video for his hit single “Advertising Space” there; the music legend also brought his girlfriend Ayda Field and friends and family to the Pleasure Beach at the end of 2008, declaring the day one of the top 10 days of his life.
Robbie said this week; “Blackpool has so many happy memories for me and it will be a real thrill to turn on the 2010 Illuminations which I am told are seen by 3 million people every year. This will cap my twentieth year of making music and I can’t think of a better place to celebrate that than Blackpool”.
In what promises to be the biggest Switch-On ever, visitBlackpool, Real Radio and Smooth Radio have organized a variety of special events for the weekend of September 3,4 and 5 - further details of which will be announced shortly.
Councillor Maxine Callow, Cabinet Member for Tourism and Regeneration at Blackpool Council, said: “I always find it difficult to see each year how we can top the celebrities who come to flick the switch but this year Real Radio and Smooth Radio have managed it and we are absolutely thrilled that Robbie Williams will be joining us.
"The Illuminations Switch On is the biggest event of the year and we've got one of the biggest stars in the country. No doubt this will be welcome news to Blackpool businesses who are set to benefit from the thousands of visitors who will be in the resort to enjoy this fantastic event. It's set to be a spectacular show with something for everyone.
"Robbie has a huge fan base of all ages and we want them to come to Blackpool and enjoy everything the resort has to offer."
This will be one of Robbie’s last solo appearances before he joins Take That on tour, and although he won’t be singing on the evening, he’s looking forward to returning to Blackpool to flick the famous switch.
The entertainment packed event will take place in the Switch-On Arena, situated behind the SEA LIFE Centre with a live broadcast going out nationwide across the Real Radio network from 8pm with a 9pm switch-on.
This year fans will need to ensure they have a ticket for the fabulous FREE show - stay tuned to Real Radio and Smooth Radio for admission details, or keep an eye onwww.visitblackpool.com/switchon andwww.realradio.co.uk
Dave Shearer, Real Radio programme director and event organiser said; “We are delighted to be able to present a star of Robbie’s magnitude for Blackpool Illuminations. In previous years Radio 2 has had some great acts but this year’s event puts them all in the shade. We have put together an unsurpassable evening’s entertainment which listeners who attend will remember for the rest of their lives.”
Andy Carter GMG Radio North West’s managing director added: “We are very proud to be able to bring Robbie to Blackpool for The Big Switch On along with a full evening of music from the cream of pop. This is an iconic town and an iconic event, so it is only fitting that we present iconic stars.”
As well as the station’s programming, Blackpool has organised a variety of special events for the weekend, making it what promises to be the biggest Switch-On ever, attracting tens of thousands of visitors to the resort.
St John’s in the town centre will be alive with activity over the Big Switch-On Weekend. Situated in the centre of the resort, close to the Winter Gardens, the area will become a vibrant outdoor space with a programme of activity planned for the Saturday.
Robbie Williams won the “Outstanding Contribution” award at this year’s Brit Awards and will release his greatest hits collection “In And Out Of Consciousness - 1990-2010” on Virgin Records on October 11.
He has just been confirmed to headline the very special Help for Heroes concert at Twickenham on Sep 12, his only live performance for the rest of this year.
Robbie’s new single “Shame” is a duet with Gary Barlow and details of Take That’s new album, featuring Robbie, will be released soon.
The Illuminations shine for 66 nights until Sunday 7 November.
For further visitBlackpool information contact:
Mike Chadwick, Media & Events Manager, visitBlackpool
Suzie Joyce, Press Officer, visitBlackpool
For Real Radio and Smooth Radio contact:
Malcolm Packer, GMG Radio Press Office
For media accreditation to attend the event please contact
Notes to editors:
· Blackpool Illuminations will shine nightly from Friday 3 September to Sunday 7 November.
· Blackpool Illuminations recently won the Gold Award for Best Tourism Event of the Year at the Enjoy England Awards for Excellence
· Blackpool Illuminations attract more than three million visitors to the resort each year
· The Illuminations display stretches for more than six miles
· Blackpool’s first electric lighting display was in 1879 when just eight Siemens arc lamps illuminated the Promenade. Victorian visitors described the effect as ‘artificial sunshine’.
· Real Radio broadcasts lively mix of popular music from the 80’s to the present day and entertaining regionally focused chat, news sport for the 25-44 year old market, Real Radio is arguably the biggest success story in UK regional radio. Real Radio is available on FM across South and West Wales, Central Scotland, across the North West, North East and South and West Yorkshire, as well as in most major UK regions on DAB digital radio online while Wale is also available on Sky and Freeview.
· Six stations across the UK make up the Smooth Radio network. Smooth Radio provides a broad mix soulful easy listening music from the last five decades mixed with intelligent entertaining speech for the 40 and 50 something adult. Broadcasting across London the East Midlands, West Midlands, North West, North East and Glasgow. Smooth Radio is available on FM, DAB in its regional market, online and on Sky and Freeview. Smooth Radio North West is also available on DAB across Yorkshire.