VisitEngland Announces Latest Domestic Tourism Figures
19 December 2011: VisitEngland, the national tourist board, today announced domestic tourism figures for January to August this year. The number of overnight holiday trips in England increased year on year by 4 per cent, with holiday spend growing by 12 per cent.
Over the three months from June to August, which includes the key school holiday period, a total of 17.8 million holiday trips were taken in England – up 3% from 2010. As witnessed throughout the year, tourism spend has grown much faster than trip volumes; however, VisitEngland advised that this in part reflects inflationary pressures, with many operators seeing profit margins squeezed by mounting operating costs.
VisitEngland’s Chief Executive James Berresford said:
“It is heartening that the number of people choosing to take a holiday in England remains above pre-recession levels. It is vital that we continue to work very hard together to maintain this trend as we approach one of the most potentially exciting years for English tourism.”
For more information contact:
Emma White, Corporate Communications Executive Tel 020 7578 1471, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
- GBTS has replaced the UKTS survey – a background to the survey can be found here: http://www.visitengland.org/insight-statistics/major-tourism-surveys/overnightvisitors/index.aspx
- The full results can be found here: http://www.visitengland.org/Images/August%202011-%20Commentary%20of%20results%20final_tcm30-29143.pdf
- VisitEngland is the strategic leadership body representing the public and private sector stakeholders of English Tourism. It works in partnership creating national tourism strategy, optimising marketing investment, and developing the visitor experience across England
- VisitEngland uses its Enjoy England consumer brand in the domestic market and markets England under the VisitEngland brand in international markets
- For corporate information see www.visitengland.org, for consumer information see www.enjoyengland.com