Lighting the way to Lancashire Encounter
Big Difference Company has been awarded the contract for Procession of Light Producer with their ambitious ideas for the highlight event of Lancashire Encounter 2016. Building on the tradition of the Preston Guild torchlight procession, the Procession of Light has been designed to bring together communities, organisations and businesses from across Lancashire and showcase the region’s diversity, creativity and innovation.
Big Difference Company, whose mission is to “…produce and deliver ambitious festivals & projects which improve social, economic & cultural wellbeing,” have been appointed to produce the procession and establish a dynamic and creative vision. With an ambition to create a vibrant, exciting and inspiring procession, Big Difference Company propose taking inspiration from the steampunk movement to encourage participation with its DIY spirit as well as bringing together old and new technology to celebrate Lancashire’s Great Industrial Heritage & Creative Imagination from jet engines to cogs from gas light to illumination. Big Difference Company have previously produced events including the public event for the re-interment of King Richard III, the Flame Festival for the 2012 London Paralympic Games and the annual Leicester Comedy Festival.
There will be a series of workshops to encourage individuals and groups to get involved. Preston City Council is currently encouraging businesses and community groups to register an interest to get involved, online.
Councillor Peter Kelly, Preston City Council’s Cabinet Member for Culture and Leisure Services said, “This is a really exciting opportunity for Preston to welcome groups from across Lancashire to celebrate creativity from around the region. I cannot wait to see the end result.”
Geoff Rowe, CEO of Big Difference Company, said “We’re really excited to be working with the team in Preston and the wider Lancashire community. Building on the great enthusiasm and making that went into the Guild processions, we are keen to create a unique procession of Light for Lancashire.”
NOTES TO NEWSDESK:
● To express interest please visit the online form.
● Lancashire Encounter invites visitors to discover a world of culture and creativity on their doorstep. 23 -25 September, Preston city centre will be transformed into a vibrant hub of activity. Giant red canopies will stretch across various venues, providing space to be immersed in a world of creativity. Visitors are encouraged to discover and explore the exciting and dynamic programme available throughout the weekend– making each encounter a unique experience. More information available on the Preston Guild City website
● The procession will take place Saturday, 24 September in the evening.
● The fees for involvement in the procession are:
£40 (plus VAT) for community groups
£150 (plus VAT) for commercial businesses
● Lancashire Encounter is a partner in the Without Walls Associate Touring Network, a group of festivals working together to extend the reach and benefits of the existing Without Walls programme in areas where there is low engagement with the arts, bringing high-quality outdoor work to diverse audiences across England. For more information on the work of Without Walls ATN, please visit their website.
● Lancashire Encounter is being supported by key partners and funders including Preston City Council, Arts Council England, University of Central Lancashire, Preston Business Improvement District and Marketing Lancashire.