Mayor of Preston launches Covid Thank You Parade
Mayor of Preston, Councillor Javed Iqbal, has announced a Covid Thank You parade to take place in Preston this autumn. He is now looking for essential businesses, organisations and groups who have worked throughout the pandemic to support the people and communities in Preston to participate.
The torchlight parade, designed as a tribute to keyworkers, will form part of the finale of Lancashire Encounter and take place early evening 2nd October in Preston city centre. Expected to have a mixture of vehicles and walking participants, with a mix of proud Prestonians alongside astonishing acts from further afield the procession will have the theme of “light.” This event will provide the opportunity for a city celebration and appreciation for all who have sacrificed and worked hard to support Preston through the pandemic.
“It is with great pleasure I announce this parade as a way for the city to thank the many residents, businesses, organisations and groups who have worked so hard to support Preston through the pandemic.
I was honoured to receive so many nominations for the Coronavirus Community Hero Awards and this event is an opportunity for the city to safely come together to honour and celebrate the many who sacrificed so much during this time.
I strongly encourage any essential business, organisation, or group to participate – we want to include not only the NHS and emergency services, but also the essential retail workers, refuse collectors, postal workers, and transport sector, to name a few.
It will be my privilege to welcome participants on the night and stand with Preston residents and visitors as a spectator to this magical event.”
- Preston City Council will be working with the Director of Public Health to ensure this event follows all relevant Covid safe protocols. All participants will be asked to take a Lateral Flow Test before arrival, and no one with symptoms is expected to participate.
- For more information about Lancashire Encounter please visit www.lancsencounter.co.uk
- Please note participation in this parade is for essential businesses, organisations, and groups only – individuals are encouraged to attend as spectators.
- Spectator information will be released closer to the date.
- Any business, organisation or group interested in participating can find out more information and register on https://www.preston.gov.uk/ThankYouParade