West Lancashire Update: Christmas and New Year floods
We are continuing to help residents following flooding in West Lancashire over the Christmas and New Year period.
Council vehicles will visit areas affected by the flooding to collect materials such as carpets and furniture and dispose of them. This will be a free service and the visits will take place on specific dates up to 31 January.
The Council has a record of properties that have been reported to it as having suffered internal flooding. Vehicles will be visiting those areas at the following dates:
- Monday 11, 18 and 25 January: Parbold area
- Tuesday 12, 19 and 26 January: other areas affected by the floods
- Wednesday 13, 20 and 27 January: Ormskirk area
- Friday 15, 22 and 29 January: Burscough area
For more details, call the Council on 01695 577177.
Residents will have to bring the goods out of the houses themselves or make arrangements for this to be done. They should also ensure that they have no further need for the goods, e.g. for any insurance claim. Council staff will not be able to enter people’s homes to remove goods.
If your home suffered internal flooding due to heavy rains between Christmas and New Year and you haven’t already informed the Council you can email [email protected].
Funding for flood-affected homes
Residents whose home has been affected by internal flooding will be eligible for a £500 one-off payment. We have started the process of making these payments. They will also be able to have their Council Tax bills suspended for three months. Wherever possible we will look to provide this support automatically without requiring an application form.
Residents who do not have any house insurance or have other particular needs can apply to a local discretionary fund which is being administered by the Community Foundation for Lancashire. More details, including how to apply, are available at the Lancashire Flood Appeal (external link) website.
Longer term, households that have been flooded may wish to consider whether they might be eligible for a flood resilience grant of up to £5,000. More details of this scheme will be available in the near future.
The Council has a record of properties that have been reported to it as having suffered internal flooding. If your home suffered internal flooding due to heavy rains between Christmas and New Year and you haven’t already informed the Council you can email [email protected].
Funding for flood-affected businesses
- Business Rates Relief – temporary relief in relation to Business Rates can be applied for by contacting the Business Rates Team on 01695 587158 or by e-mailing [email protected]
- Business Support – small and medium-sized businesses (up to 250 employees) can apply for grants. Details of the business support package are available at Boost Business Lancashire (external link). For assistance, businesses should contact Boost Business Lancashire’s gateway team on 0800 488 0057. Applications must be made by 28 February 2016.
- Support for farmers – this support scheme is administered by DEFRA and details can be found at gov.uk (external link). Applications must be made by 1 April 2016.
The Council is contacting businesses that we are aware of who have been affected by the recent flooding. However. if a business owner wishes to speak to the Borough Council for advice on any of these potential support schemes, including support with the application forms, businesses can contact the Business Development Officer on 01695 712559.
Other useful information
- Environment Agency Extended Floodline Service: 0845 988 1188 or 0345 988 1188
- Gas leak – National Grid: 0800 111999
- Electrical hazard – Electricity North West: 0800 195 4141
- United Utilities (sewage problems): 0345 6723723
- Homelessness: 0845 371 0898 or visit our homeless webpages
- Flooding safety advice can also be found on lancs fire and rescue (external link) website
If you wish to report a flood incident or have concerns that your property may be immediately at risk of flooding please contact the Environment Agency's Extended Floodline Service on 0845 988 1188 where Environment Agency staff with up to date information will be able to assist you. Alternatively please visit the Environment Agency (external link).
The Environment Agency (external link) has an online service and a 24 hour Floodline giving advice on what to do when flood warnings are issued, how to prepare for flooding and what to do during and after a flood – call 0845 988 1188.
For further details of local and national flood information or to sign up to receive flood alerts visit the Environment Agency flood warning (external link) service.
Homeowners, business owners and landlords are responsible for protecting their own properties from flooding. Sandbags can be sourced from local builder’s merchants/DIY stores throughout the borough.
Please note that West Lancashire Borough Council will only provide sandbags to Council-owned buildings if the property is at risk of internal flooding.
Find out more
Protecting your home from flooding (external link)
Prepare for a flood and help afterwards (external link)
Sign up for flood warnings (external link)
Sport England have set-up an emergency flood relief fund (external link) to help clubs and community-based sports organisations affected by the recent flooding
Business Survey Post Flood Event
If your business has been affected by the recent floods please spare a few minutes to complete this short survey.