Blackpool Air Show a roaring success!
More than 100,000 visitors turned out to watch the two-day Blackpool Air Show – making it one of the most successful on record.
An action-packed programme featuring the likes of the RAF Typhoon, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the Breitling Wingwalkers and the world-famous Red Arrows attracted visitors from all over the country.
It was the first time that the Red Arrows had performed on both days of a Blackpool Air Show and their incredible finale received a rapturous reception from people lining the full stretch of the Promenade.
Cllr Gillian Campbell, Deputy Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “Moving the Air Show from its usual Sunday and Monday to Saturday and Sunday meant that even more people got the opportunity to see this fantastic free entertainment. It was by far and away the busiest weekend we have witnessed in Blackpool this summer.
“We have to give enormous credit to all the pilots who showed off their incredible skills and talent, giving the tens of thousands of people attending the event an opportunity to witness some thrilling aerobatics.
“I’m very proud of everyone who took part to make the 108th annual air show a very special occasion.”
As well as a range of spectacular displays, there were also a whole range of exciting sights on the ground with stalls, stands and attractions from the Red Arrows ground team; the SPAM roadshow; Arnold Clark; Simulator Supplies; 21 Game Stall; Help for Heroes; Friends of the Red Arrows; Royal British Legion; Blackpool Transport; RAFA; Love My Beach and Blood Bikes.
Blackpool Air Show has now been wowing the public since 1909 when the town put on the very first official air show in the UK.
That was the same year French flyer Louis Bleriot made the first historic crossing of the English Channel.
Expect a similarly spectacular display next year with dates already confirmed for 2018. Save the date of Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th August 2018.
The Blackpool Air Show is the latest in a series of events designed to light up Blackpool’s summer and autumn season.
We’ve still got all this to look forward to:
• Ride the Lights – 29 August between 7pm and 10pm – where we open up Blackpool Promenade to bikes to allow cyclists to ride through the resort’s famous Blackpool Illuminations
• Blackpool Illuminations Switch-On – Friday 1st September – The Switch-On event is free, with 20,000 people invited to apply for wristbands that will guarantee entry to the Tower Festival Headland arena. The ballot has now closed with the lucky winners informed.
• Blackpool Illuminations – 1 September – 5 November – Britain’s most spectacular light show returns to Blackpool Promenade for another year – FREE
• LightPool & Festival@LightPool – 1 September – 5 November – The LightPool programme returns for a third successive year with 3D projection shows on the Blackpool Tower building and Festival@LightPooltaking place on selected dates during October half-term – FREE
• The World Fireworks Championship Blackpool – 8/15/22/29 September – Blackpool plays host to the best fireworks display teams in the world with the competitors planning more dramatic and spectacular displays than ever before to wow the crowds – FREE
• Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST – 21, 22 & 23 October – The Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST ticketed shows will take place on Saturday, Sunday and Monday at the Arena, Blackpool Pleasure The six shows across 3 days will feature live performances, games, characters and plenty of slime, music and mayhem! Book tickets NOW at nick.co.uk/SLIMEFEST
To find out more about the events and activities throughout the year, please go to visitblackpool.com or tel 01253 478222 for more information.