Here comes summer!
Blackpool is gearing up for a bumper season with a host of exciting new events and attractions lined up for 2017.
At the annual Season Launch event attended by hundreds of people operating in the tourism industry, it was revealed that:
- Nickelodeon will be bringing back an even bigger and better SLIMEFEST experience with six live shows lined up during the October half-term
- A £600k destination marketing campaign incorporating TV advertising, PR and digital activity will be rolled out from Easter onwards
- VisitBlackpool has launched a brand new website that showcases the resort’s huge variety of shows, events and attractions
- Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s construction of a spectacular new rollercoaster is well underway
The announcements were made at the Season Launch event at the Globe Theatre at Blackpool Pleasure Beach to an audience of hoteliers, attractions and other businesses operating within the visitor economy.
The audience was told that Blackpool visitor figures had risen following the 2016 season with holidaymakers opting for “staycations” against a backdrop of poor exchange rates and concerns about travelling abroad.
Cllr Gillian Campbell, Deputy Leader of Blackpool Council said that there was a similar opportunity for growth in visitor numbers in 2017 but rather than sitting on its laurels, the resort had to keep investing in its product.
She said: “The 2017 season is shaping up to be yet another fantastic year.
“I’m particularly delighted to announce that Nickelodeon’s SLIMEFEST will return to the resort following a successful partnership in 2016. Nickelodeon is a perfect fit for our family audience.
“I am also pleased to tell you that in partnership with Merlin and Blackpool Pleasure Beach, we will be investing heavily in destination marketing to ensure that the widest possible audience is aware of everything that Blackpool now has to offer.
“We look forward to welcoming visitors to the resort for what promises to be another fabulous season.”
The event attendees were also given a preview of some of the many top-class shows that are already lined up at the resort’s theatre venues.
Merlin also gave an update on the investment that is being made in its attractions for 2017 including;
- Arrival of the Sea Stars display at Sea Life Blackpool, as well as being awarded a wedding license, couples can now tie the knot beneath the waves!
- Madame Tussauds are excited to be welcoming three new exciting wax figures, with plans to extend the Rovers Return
- The Blackpool Tower Circus launches ‘Circus Spectacular’ celebrating 26 years of the Endresz family
- Blackpool Tower Eye will see engineering works that will allow for the Tower lifts to operate during 50mph winds
- The Blackpool Tower Dungeon kicks off the season with their new interactive experience ‘Great Escapes’ launching on the 1st April
Whilst season launch partners Blackpool Pleasure Beach are gearing up for yet another exciting season with rides, attractions and spectacular shows, there’s fun and adventure for the whole family, making memories that will last a lifetime. The 2017 season includes;
- The return of late night riding and spectacular firework displays, after the huge popularity in 2016 this year visitors can enjoy an additional two nights totalling eight evenings throughout 2017
- Summertime Games returns and visitors can once again attempt to break a Guinness World Record attempt
- The Ministry of Sound presents Titanium, taking place in the Arena on two occasions during the summer season the events will see some of the worlds best DJs take to the decks
- Halloween sees the return of the ever-popular, spooktastic event – Vampire Pleasure Beach
Blackpool Pleasure Beach is also making it even easier to have a great value day out, with the new Mega Ticket that allows you to buy a wristband, a meal and a souvenir photo for one great price!
Amanda Thompson OBE, Managing Director of Blackpool Pleasure Beach adds, “With so many wonderful events taking place this season, there has never been a better time to visit Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Work is now well underway on Construction 2018, our new £16.25m double launch rollercoaster, scheduled to open in spring 2018 so it’s a very exciting time for us all here.”
Click on the link http://www.visitblackpool.com/blackpoolguide/ to view the 2017 Blackpool Destination Guide.
To view Blackpool’s new website design go to www.visitblackpool.com
To view the online version of our 2017 Event Guide follow https://issuu.com/visitblackpool/docs/events_guide_2017