Windy weather fails to blow Blackpool Air Show off course!
Blackpool’s breathtaking Air Show battled the elements to boost visitor numbers and wow the crowds.
Over one hundred thousand people visited the resort over the weekend to watch the world famous RAF Red Arrows, the RAF Typhoon and many, many more spectacular flying machines.
And despite the wind and rain on Sunday morning and Monday afternoon, which meant the programme had to be re-organised, lady luck shined on the resort to allow the show – in typical Blackpool style – to go on.
Cllr Gillian Campbell, Deputy Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “I was out on the Promenade throughout the day on Sunday and Monday and people were having a fantastic time.
“We have to give enormous credit to the brave pilots who showed off their skills in very difficult conditions and the crowds for braving the breeze to catch a glimpse of the Red Arrows, the RAF Typhoon and the spectacular Breitling Wingwalkers as well as all the other performers.
“In true Blackpool style, the show must go on and I’m very proud of everyone who took part to make the 107th annual air show a very special occasion.”
As well as a range of spectacular displays, there were also a whole range of exciting sights on the ground with stalls, stands and attractions from the friends of the Red Arrows, Simulator Supplies, Flyzone, Battle of Britain, SPAM and the RAF Benevolent Fund.
Blackpool Air Show has now been wowing the public since 1909 when the town put on the very first official air show in Britain.
That was the same year French flyer Louis Bleriot made the first historic crossing of the English Channel.
Expect a similarly spectacular display next year!
The Blackpool Air Show is the latest in a series of events designed to light up Blackpool’s summer and autumn season.
We’ve still got all this to look forward to:
- Ride the Lights – 30 August between 7pm and 10pm – where we open up Blackpool Promenade to bikes to allow cyclists to ride through the resort’s famous Blackpool Illuminations Blackpool Illuminations Switch-On Weekend – 2-4 September – we mark the start of the resort’s annual Illuminations season with a weekend of spectacular music and performances from artists like The Vamps, Fleur East and Fatman Scoop. Working with Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST, the weekend will feature a free outdoor experience on the Tower Festival Headland throughout the Saturday and Sunday including character appearances and a host of family activities.
- Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST – 3 September – The Nickelodeon SLIMEFEST ticketed shows will take place on Saturday, September 3 in the Empress Ballroom at the Winter Gardens. Two identical shows will feature live performances, games, characters and plenty of slime!
- Blackpool Illuminations – 2 September – 6 November – Britain’s most spectacular light show returns to Blackpool Promenade for another year.
- LightPool – 2 September – 6 November – The £2m LightPool programme returns for a second successive year with brand new 3D projection shows on the Blackpool Tower building and a week-long festival of light taking place throughout the town centre during October half-term. In addition to this, there will be a contemporary neon exhibition at the Grundy Art Gallery running throughout the festival plus lots more activities planned.
- The World Fireworks Championships Blackpool – 9/16/23/30 September – Blackpool plays host to the best fireworks display teams in the world with the competitors planning more dramatic and spectacular displays than ever before to wow the crowds.
To find out more about the events and activities throughout the year, please go to visitblackpool.com or tel 01253 478222 for more information.